Thursday 31 March 2016

Jan/Feb/Mar Book Overview

Here are all the books that I read in January, February and March (and the ones I didn't quite finish).

Persuasion - Jane Austen
My Rating - 2/5 Stars
I didn't actually finish this because I just cannot get on with Austen's writing. I know how popular and celebrated she is as a writer, but I found most of what she said completely unnecessary and so I gave up.

Dracula - Bram Stoker
My Rating - 3/5 Stars
Again, I didn't finish this, I had to read it for university and got about half way through before I had a lecture on it. I skimmed through the rest just so I know what I was talking about, but I don't think its as amazing as its reputation makes you believe.

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
My Rating - 4/5 Stars
I loved this book. It was so wacky and unexpected, making something as devastating as the firebombing of Dresden into a much more light hearted novel that involves aliens and time travel. It probably wont be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.


The Road - Cormac McCarthy
My Rating - 3/5 Stars
I gave it this rating because I hated the first 100 pages, which took me three weeks to read before I gave up for a while. Coming back a few months later, however, I grew to enjoy the desolate landscape of this novel. It is a very depressing book with a pretty bleak ending, so don't expect an uplifting novel where a heroic character gives you faith in humanity like in most dystopia's, because that isn't what you will get with The Road.

Where Things Come Back - John Corey Whaley
My Rating - 4/5 Stars
This was a very interesting and easy read. It isn't massively uplifting, and the ending would severely frustrate many people but I really enjoyed it. The final page, while short, works in ways that I don't think any other ending could.

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories - Angela Carter
My Rating - 5/5 Stars
If you want a fairytale retelling, but dark, murderous and sexual fairytale retelling, then this collection is for you. Each short story is inspired by a fairytale and they are all darkly beautiful.

The Carhullan Army - Sarah Hall
My Rating - 4/5 Stars
Although this has been hailed a feminist text, I don't think that should be the stance taken when approaching this book. Read it with an open mind, and you decide what it means to you. It is a fantastic novel that raises so many questions and concerns about our current society, so definitely worth the read.

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer
My Rating - 4/5 Stars
This is an interesting book that I can't quite describe. It's a sort of teenage, mental health, murder mystery hybrid, though none of those descriptions are completely correct. Honestly, just go and read it for yourself and you wont regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment